For three years, Airbus’ twin high-resolution radar satellites, TerraSar-X and TanDEM-X, have imaged the entire land surface of our planet multiple times to create the first ever global 12-meter (m) elevation model. The WorldDEM is ideal for all mapping projects requiring accurate elevation models including orthorectification, floodplain determination, mineral exploration and hydrocarbon development.
WorldDEM January 2015 Product Updates
During January, sections of Asia, Europe, the Middle East and South America were made available. Areas that are available take a minimum of 10 days to deliver.
To date, there is more than 66,311,000 square kilometers (sq km) of WorldDEM data that is available! And some 7,948,000 sq km of WorldDEM was made available for delivery in the past month.
The key product specifications of Airbus’ WorldDEM are as follows:
- Resolution: 12-m
- Coverage: entire landmass of the Earth, ~150 million square kilometers (sq km)
- Absolute Vertical Accuracy: < 4-m Linear Error 90% (LE90)
- Relative Vertical Accuracy: < 2-m LE90 (slopes ≤ 20%), < 4-m LE90 (slopes > 20%)
- Absolute Horizontal Accuracy: < 10-m Circular Error 90% (CE90)
- Vintage: all data collected within 3 years
- Source: interferometry from synthetic aperture radar (SAR) satellites TerraSAR-X & TanDEM-X
- Minimum Order: 500 sq km per polygon
- File Format: GeoTIFF
- Projection: geographic WGS84 (EGM2008, vertical datum), meter vertical unit
- Product Line Options:
- WorldDEMcore – unedited digital surface model (DSM), includes spikes, wells and voids
- WorldDEM – a DSM with removal of artifacts and water body flattening
- WorldDEM DTM – artifacts and surface features removed, i.e. a digital terrain model (DTM)
WorldDEM Coverage and Pricing
WorldDEM data has a 500 sq km minimum order size with a 10-km width requirement. Prices for two of the product lines have been set:
- WorldDEMcore – $10.80 per sq km
- WorldDEMTM – $13.50 per sq km
You can download three 12-m WorldDEMTM samples here:
- Buraydah, Saudi Arabia – desert with agriculture present; 576 m to 737 m
- Mjosa Lake, Norway – hilly terrain with large water bodies; 100 m to 840 m
- Wagga Wagga, Australia – forest and urban with many water bodies; 137 m to 922 m
For more information about 12-m WorldDEM data, please send us an email at [email protected].