Our pay-as-you-go GIS cloud, Map Mavin, is really moving forward now! In the past month, we finalized the logo (see the graphic here). We also have a working alpha version of the administrator panel for Map Mavin which has been great to test out and improve. Since the screengrabs of the user interface you saw last month, we also changed the colors significantly to highlight different items on the page.
In fact, here is a screengrab of the improved user interfaces with our new colors added in. As with last month, this interface will change, but at least you can get a sense of where we are headed with Map Mavin. The screengrab you see here is part of the account creation process where you input your organization’s address information.
While we are busy building out the infrastructure and technology required to support the most flexible GIS cloud on the market, now is a great time to explain a bit about the Map Mavin.
Some of you may have used other GIS cloud services in the past, and in many ways the Map Mavin will be similar to these. But the Map Mavin will distinguish itself in a variety of important manners. Here is a list of the key features that will be unique to the Map Mavin:
- Near-instant set-up – unlike other GIS clouds, the Map Mavin will take less than five minutes to sign up for, load data on to and get started using. No other cloud comes close to that flexibility.
- Tons of free spatial data – included with every subscription is access to more than 4 terabytes (TB) of free vector and raster data covering the United States and many parts of the world.
- A marketplace for spatial data – all users will have access to a library of spatial data that can be added to your GIS cloud. Further, users will be able to post data they have created to the marketplace to sell to other users (or let them use for free if you wish).
- Cloud computing – we will ask all users for feedback on the spatial operations they perform most frequently and will then implement the most popular ones in the Map Mavin.
- Free entry-level subscriptions – users will be able to use the full-functionality of Map Mavin with a free 30-day demo or up to 5 megabytes of storage. And once you pass this storage limit or 30 days of usage, subscriptions will start at just $10.00 per month!
- A robust online viewer – for those users in your organization lacking access to a GIS application, the Map Mavin will feature an online viewer that can be accessed from anywhere in the world as long as users have internet access.
- Enhanced browsing speeds – we will have all of your spatial data cached in multiple locations around the world so access times will be greatly reduced for international users.
- Flexible streaming architecture – administrators will be able to setup multiple WMS and WFS feeds that can be shared with the appropriate teams of data users. Each feed can be seeded with the datasets these users need access to.
- Industry-leading data redundancy – with 99.999999999% data redundancy, you can be assured that your data will not be lost once placed on the Map Mavin.
Do you have any specific questions you would like answered about the Map Mavin? Or perhaps you want to join the beta program? If so, let us know by email at [email protected].