What is a Web Map?
You’ve undoubtedly come across many web maps while browsing the internet, probably within the last month. These interactive maps come in so many forms that they can be hard to categorize, but the basic definition is as follows:
“An application that permits users to view or create maps on a web platform, usually with limited or no GIS analysis”.
What that really means is that a web map can take on many forms with added layers of interactive data. A great example is the map view on Yelp or TripAdvisor. In these instances, the user is able to access data on hotels, restaurants and interesting places, including other user reviews and photographs, while also being able to manipulate and filter the results.
Though Yelp and TripAdvisor are great examples of external web maps, they do not have to be public facing. The advantage of web maps are that they not only make spatial data more accessible and interactive, but they also allow for multiple datasets to be combined and can be created for internal or external purposes. That means some web maps which are not made for the public, such as facility security maps or primary health care provider maps, can be created for private companies, organizations or individuals.
Web Maps from Apollo Mapping
The Apollo Mapping team is here to help you with your web mapping needs. Our team of GIS experts and all-star developers are ready to take on your next project, regardless of its size and scope. We also believe that maps should be universal. Here is a list of what we can do:
- Integrate raster and vector databases, multimedia files, social media, text documents and spreadsheets.
- Build all maps in an intelligent, user-friendly fashion with slick, modern design.
- Implement as many open source and open standard interfaces, applications and platforms as possible.
- Integrate REST APIs, APIs, WMS, WFS, etc.
- Create web maps that work on every operating system, not just Windows!
- Build and maintain full stack deployments on the front and back end.
- Deliver scalable solutions.
What Makes Us Better?
It’s simple actually, we work directly with all of our clients to provide one-on-one service. That cuts down on costly errors, miscommunication and frustration. It also allows us to work swiftly and precisely, getting your project completed on time and within budget.
You don’t have to take our word for it though, check out our best web map, Image Hunter, and see for yourself how effective our solutions can be!