Do you need free software to view your imagery files and/or GIS data?
If so, you have come to the right place!
Here is a list of direct links to download four of our favorite free viewers for imagery files and/or GIS data. Each of these programs:
- Can be installed on any system running a Windows operating system.
- Will open a wide variety of GIS (i.e. vector) and imagery (i.e. raster) file formats;
- Allow you to display GIS and imagery files at the same time; and
- Contain several pre-defined histogram stretches to assist you with color balancing imagery.
Please let us know by email if any of these download links do not work!
- Cadcorp Map Express – check the bottom of the page for downloads; also opens CAD files directly
- Geomatica FreeView – you will need to register first to download this program
- Monteverdi (Orfeo ToolBox) – this program does the best job at histogram stretching (i.e. color balancing) 16-bit imagery and then exporting to a GeoTIFF
- Quantum GIS (QGIS) – this is an advanced program that can do more than open imagery files; it also works on Mac operating systems! Mac users will need to install QGIS and GDAL from here; and NumPy and Matplotlib from here. For directions opening an imagery with QGIS, see this video.
- TatukGIS Free Viewer
- TNTatlas – works on Mac OS and Windows