If you are a regular reader of this monthly feature, the Geospatial Tip of the Month (GTM), or the previous iteration, the Geospatial Frequently Asked Question (G-FAQ), then you will know that I have never promoted a product or service offered here at Apollo Mapping. Well, I guess rules are meant to be broken as this month I am so excited about our new Image Hunter service called, Data Alert, that it will be the focus of my September GTM article.
What is Data Alert?
Launched in late July, Data Alert is an add-on service for our very popular imagery search engine, Image Hunter. With Data Alert, you can define an area of interest and set of criteria for the imagery you require. Once a day, we will intersect your area of interest with all of the newly collected images that meet your resolution requirement. If we find any intersects, we will send you an email with details on the collection date, cloud cover, resolution and off-nadir angle.
You are not obliged to buy any imagery found with Data Alert. This is simply a free service for our valued Apollo Mapping clients that helps reduce imagery search times when you need updated data over specific areas.
How Do You Set Up a Data Alert?
Setting up a Data Alert for your project is easy to do. Just follow the steps below or watch the short YouTube video that accompanies this GTM:
- Go to our imagery search engine, Image Hunter, with your favorite browser. We find that Chrome works best with Image Hunter.
- If you would like to draw or load your polygon before you set up a Data Alert, you can do so by following the directions here. You can also upload a zipped shapefile or KML/KMZ directly in the Data Alert interface, we will cover that a bit below.
- Click on the bell icon in the header of Image Hunter (see Graphic 1). This will bring up the Data Alert interface (see Graphic 2).
- You will need to fill out Your name (required), Company (optional), Phone number (optional) and Email address (required).
- Now enter a Description or project name to describe your Data Alert.
- Use the slider bar to set the maximum acceptable resolution. For example, if you set a Data Alert for 1 m (or 1 meter), you will be altered when images with 30 centimeters (the current maximum resolution of data in Image Hunter) to 1 m is collected over your area of interest.
- Use the pull down menu to select the number of months the Data Alert should stay active.
- Finally, you need to define your area of interest and press Submit. You can define your area of interest by using the onscreen polygon you may have defined in step 2 with the orange Go button. Or you can press Choose File to upload a zipped shapefile or KMZ of your area.
- Once you press submit, you will receive an email confirmation that lets you know everything is setup and running. If we find new imagery over your polygon in our daily search, we will let you know by email. You can email us back if you would like to order at that time.
Hopefully you find our Data Alert service to be of value. If you have any ideas on how we can improve it, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have an idea for a future GTM? If so, let me know by email at email@example.com.
Brock Adam McCarty