For three years, Airbus’ twin high-resolution radar satellites, TerraSar-X and TanDEM-X, imaged the entire land surface of our planet multiple times to create the first ever global 12-meter (m) elevation model. Referred to as WorldDEMTM, this data is ideal for all mapping projects requiring accurate elevation models including orthorectification, floodplain determination, mineral exploration and hydrocarbon development.
WorldDEM November 2016 Product Updates
As of November, Airbus accomplished an amazing feat as all 184,000,000 square kilometers (sq km) of WorldDEM data is now processed! So now, for the first time, we can boast that WorldDEM is a full worldwide offering of an elevation data at 12-meter resolution; that is impressive stuff.
Data takes an average of two weeks or less to deliver from time of order confirmation. Ask us how WorldDEM can help with your next geospatial project.
The key product specifications of Airbus’ WorldDEM are as follows:
- Resolution: 12-m
- Coverage: entire landmass of the Earth, ~150 million square kilometers (sq km)
- Absolute Vertical Accuracy: < 4-m Linear Error 90% (LE90)
- Relative Vertical Accuracy: < 2-m LE90 (slopes ≤ 20%), < 4-m LE90 (slopes > 20%)
- Absolute Horizontal Accuracy: < 10-m Circular Error 90% (CE90)
- Vintage: all data collected within 3 years
- Source: interferometry from synthetic aperture radar (SAR) satellites TerraSAR-X & TanDEM-X
- Minimum Order: 100 sq km per polygon
- File Format: GeoTIFF
- Projection: geographic WGS84 (EGM2008, vertical datum), meter vertical unit
- Product Line Options:
- WorldDEMcore – unedited digital surface model (DSM), includes spikes, wells and voids
- WorldDEM – a DSM with removal of artifacts and water body flattening
- WorldDEM DTM – artifacts and surface features removed, i.e. a digital terrain model (DTM)
WorldDEM Coverage and Pricing
WorldDEM data has a 100 sq km minimum order size with a 1-km for a DSM and 2-km for a DTM width requirement. Prices for all WorldDEM product lines have been set at:
- WorldDEMcore – $9.20 per sq km
- WorldDEM – $11.50 per sq km
- WorldDEM DTM – $18.40 per sq km (that’s a 40% savings from the original list price!)
You can download four 12-m WorldDEM samples here, including one of the WorldDEM DTM product:
- Buraydah, Saudi Arabia – desert with agriculture present; elevations from 576 m to 737 m provided in two formats, WorldDEMcore and WorldDEM
- Mjosa Lake, Norway – hilly terrain with large water bodies; 100 m to 840 m provided in two formats, WorldDEMcore and WorldDEM
- Rapid City, South Dakota, USA – moderate to hilly terrain; elevations from 927 m to 1,765 m provided in two formats, WorldDEM and WorldDEM DTM
- Wagga Wagga, Australia – forest and urban with many water bodies; 137 m to 922 m provided in two formats, WorldDEMcore and WorldDEM
For more information about 12-m WorldDEM data, please send us an email at email@example.com or check our website here.
we are too Henk 🙂
Wow. Much needed thing for orthorectification modules.
The accuracy figures seem to be good.
Hi Ashutosh – do you require a quote for WorldDEM now?